Saturday, November 15, 2008

Morning Yoga and a Meeting of Great Minds

Today I led a group in a yoga session for the first time! We have a group from the Rodale Institute, one of the oldest organic organizations in the States, staying with us and this morning some of them caught me coming back from doing yoga in the tower this morning and they mentioned how they wanted do some yoga themselves. After I got mats out for them one of them mentioned how excited they were to have me lead them in a yoga session. eek! I wasn’t planning on leading them! I’m more of an admirer of yoga and most of what I know is what I’ve picked up from guests who pass through. I was a bit timid at first, but I just gave my disclaimer and went ahead with it. Towards the end of the session I was getting more comfortable and walking around helping people to realign themselves and get a deeper stretch in various poses. Interesting experience for me; I really liked it. When I get back home I will look into learning more about yoga. I just love it. My flexibility has increased so much and it’s just such a great way to start the day!

Also this weekend we’re hosting a Cultivating Diversity think group where an interdisciplinary group of people came together to investigate avenues of change in agriculture systems. The great minds present included people from the NGOs, certifying agencies, universities, the ministry of agriculture, farmers, and students from EARTH, the top tropical agriculture university in the world. They were dreaming up ways of creating a future Costa Rica and how to implement changes that would increase self-sustainable and just agricultural systems. And despite the language barrier, I got to participate! Jann, the facilitator, was great. I learned so much about how to get a group of people to be creative and then organize their visions and ideas. Her method involved getting ideas down on lots of colored pieces of paper and then organizing this flurry of ideas onto corkboards. We finished the night with a dinner accompanied with Luna’s starfruit wine and ginger mead and a fermented biodynamic alcoholic drink that tasted like Kaluha. Yum!

In between the morning yoga session and the Cultivating Biodiversity meeting I made, with the help of Rocio, about 8 pounds of ginger candy. Rocio and I spent the entire late morning peeling ginger until our hands felt hot and tingly from the ginger juices. After I was done I though I would never want to eat ginger candy again, but by the evening I was just snacking away. They're quite addicting!

No comments: